Tuesday, September 13, 2011

So Now, A "Quick Little Shawlette"

I have baby things to work on, but while shawls were on my mind, I just had to knock off what's called a "shawlette" because it's not a body wrap, or even much of a shoulder wrap.  Well, yeah, it's a short shoulder wrap.  Small enough to also serve as a scarf.  Except some of them that'll serve as a shoulder wrap are really too big to truly wear as a scarf.

I wanted a scarf type.  And I also wanted to try another pattern.  I kept hearing about Summer Flies on Ravelry.  It's a pretty little pattern, and I must say, it's very well written.  Most importantly, its section organization is delineated and makes sense. 

I followed the pattern "as written" up until the very last section, and that was the only thing I didn't like about it.  The designer doubles the #stitches in order to make a ruffle, which I didn't want, and also it's straight stockinette.  Sort of.  A little too heavy for the rest of the fabric type.

Another Rav member created an alternate last section, much lacier.  But she kept the huge #stitches.  From that (and this happens all the time), yet a 3rd Rav member took her lace pattern, but designed it in keeping with the established number of stitches so it's not ruffled (and lacy).  It's just lacy.

I screwed it up.  The eyelets are designed to alternate positions, and in the process, they create a lovely design.  I knitted Row 7 in place of Row 5 (therefore no alternated eyelets, instead just a really stupid repeat).  I couldn't face frogging it, so just went on to Row 9, and thought it might look like it had some organization to it if I threw in Row 11.  It improved it some, but I quit there and bound off. 

Sure 'nuff, it's not big enough to be a shoulder cover (well, barely, barely, it actually is, but I mean barely literally).  It's going to make a GREAT scarfy thing though.  I named it "Brown Neck Thingie." 

Love this little thing.  To be worn over a t-shirt with jeans.  Or whatever.  I love that about today's style sense.  It's the "whatever" that's so fun.

Anyway, here 'tis.  It's on the blocking mat, under the pins.  It retracted some once off the pins (knew it would) but still retained enough width for the way I'm going to wear it.  This yarn is Malabrigo Sock Yarn.  I don't think I'd ever use it for socks, but that's for the very reason it's perfect for shawls and shawlettes, scarves, cowls, etc.  Its twist is not tight enough to be sturdy for socks, which means it produces a soft, squishy, more vulnerable yarn.  Malabrigo is a smallish family operation.  Some people say their dyeing is so vibrant and intense because they oversaturate, and that Malabrigo projects will fade.  Well, this is the 3rd time I've used Malabrigo, and very vibrant colors, and I got so little dye runoff that it was a joke.  Granted, cold water only.  I'm not going to push my luck. 

This is a gorgeous colorway.  Vaariegated browns range from tan to very dark, rich chocolate (literally the food), interspersed with blotches of oranges and greens.  Not my normal color ranges, but that's part of why I chose it.  I really like the idea of sometimes choosing something that's out of your comfort zone.  Because it's a total change.  And also because who knows, you might surprise yourself with a new found friend (another color scheme).  I'm doing that right now with browns.  Purples were last.  I went from hating them to... still have to think of it as an acquired taste.  I'm acquiring it.  Even dabbling in lime green (horrors!)  Fuscia... I just don't think I'll ever be able to go there.  I really don't.  But I'm learning to never say never. 

Fuschia.  (Shudder.)

Off the pins and as it lives:
Inside curve:  40"
Outside curve:  63"
Depth at Center:  11"


WOW!  I just discovered that if you click on the photo, it greys out which first is grounds for a pissoff.  But if you look above or below that, there's now a menu that gives you a choice of sizes to view the photo in.  I mean, that is definitely an interesting aspect of Blogspot's new formatting.  Huh.  Interesting.

No comments: